Nonimmigrant Work and Business Visas

If you need to travel to the US for an event or short-term work assignment, you may be able to obtain a nonimmigrant visa. In many cases, you will need a sponsor, i.e., a US firm willing to petition for a visa on your behalf.


The two nonimmigrant visas we discuss on this page are the Nonimmigrant Business Visa, used to enter the United States temporarily to conduct business, and the Nonimmigrant Work Visa, for temporary work assignments in the US.

Click below to set up an appointment with our dedicated immigration lawyers.

Nonimmigrant Business Visas:

If you’re planning to enter the United States on a temporary basis for business or training purposes, you will need to apply for a “Temporary Visitor for Business” Visa (B-1) from your local US consulate or embassy – unless your country of origin is included in the Visa Waiver Program and you don’t need a visa at all (restrictions and limitations apply.) If you wish to travel with family members, they will have to apply for their own separate visas as needed. This visa does not allow for dependents.

Nonimmigrant Work Visas:

If you are looking to move to the United States on a temporary work assignment, you may be able to apply for a “Temporary Nonimmigrant Worker” Visa at your local US consulate or embassy. In this case, generally speaking, a sponsorship is required; a US employer must petition for you. You may add your spouse and children (dependents) to your visa petition.

At Cifuentes Marrero P.A. we specialize in the following types of nonimmigrant visas for professionals and executives:


Treaty traders and qualified employees


Treaty investors and qualified employees


Workers in specialty occupations


Intracompany transferees in managerial or executive positions


Intracompany transferees in positions utilizing specialized knowledge


Persons with extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics and motion picture or TV production.


North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) temporary professionals from Mexico and Canada.

Other types of nonimmigrant visas not covered here include tourist and student visas. Read more about all nonimmigrant visas here

Interested in a Nonimmigrant Business or Work Visa?


With so many different options and requirements, it’s not always easy to know what visa is best, or how and when to apply. At Cifuentes Marrero P.A. we have two decades of expertise assisting professionals and their sponsors with nonimmigrant visa petitions. We thoroughly review each applicant’s current situation and future goals to present the best possible solution tailored to their needs.

Click below to set up an appointment with our dedicated immigration lawyers.


As a businessman they have provided my company with knowledgeable and very valuable advice. We have worked with them since 2016 and we are very pleased with the results.


Fully recommended. Excellent immigration attorney firm. Maria and her team took care of my process from H1B all the way to my green card. Thanks guys, you´re the best.


Maria and her Team have immense understanding of the Immigration process, anyone can rely upon them for immigration issues without doubt