Change of Status

Our Experienced Immigration Lawyers Can Help You Understand Your Options

Contact us today at (305)-573-7418 for answers to your questions and assistance with the filing process.

You can apply to change your status if you were legally admitted into the U.S. with a nonimmigrant visa, and the nonimmigrant visa that you entered on stays valid. For example, if you entered the U.S. on a tourist visa and you now want to study at a local university, you would petition to change your status with USCIS. If you were not to change your status, it would be a violation of U.S. immigration laws.

At Cifuentes-Marrero, P.A., we understand that this area of immigration law can be complex and confusing. That is why our change of status lawyers in Miami are here to help you every step of the way.

Eligibility Requirements for Change of Status:

If the purpose of your visit to the U.S. has changed, you will need to file for a change of nonimmigrant status. However, to do so, you must meet several requirements.

To qualify for a change of status, applicants must:


  • Hold a visa that is eligible for a change of status
  • Be in the U.S. legally with a valid visa
  • Follow all of the conditions related to their particular visa
  • File for a change of status before their status expires
  • Possess a passport that will remain valid during the stay under the new status
Those who meet these requirements are not guaranteed approval of a change of status. USCIS decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. It is crucial to make sure that all forms and supporting paperwork are submitted correctly. Failure to do so could result in a delay or lead to an ultimate rejection of your application.

File As Soon As Possible

The processing times for these and other immigration applications can be quite slow. The USCIS recommends filing a change of status application no later than 60 days before a visa expires. However, you are able to file for a change of status up to six months prior to the expiration of your visa.

At Cifuentes-Marrero, P.A., we believe the sooner you file, the better. If you would like to change your nonimmigrant status, contact our skilled immigration lawyers as soon as possible. We can put our many years of experience and knowledge to work for you to help you achieve your goals.

Call (305) 573-7418 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our change of status attorneys in Miami.  Se habla español

As a businessman they have provided my company with knowledgeable and very valuable advice. We have worked with them since 2016 and we are very pleased with the results.


Fully recommended. Excellent immigration attorney firm. Maria and her team took care of my process from H1B all the way to my green card. Thanks guys, you´re the best.


Maria and her Team have immense understanding of the Immigration process, anyone can rely upon them for immigration issues without doubt

Contact Us

Your professional visa solution starts with an initial consulting stage where Maria Cifuentes and her team provide in-depth analysis and options for your specific case. At the end of the first consulting stage, you will have a clear answer and an action plan tailored to your situation, even if multiple conversations are required.

The fee for the initial consulting stage is $350. After almost 20 years of experience, we know that starting with the right immigration strategy is crucial for your future in the USA.