Student Visa Attorneys in Miami

Immigration Services Tailored to Your Needs

Any foreign national who desires to study as a full-time student in the U.S. will need to obtain a student visa. There are two categories of nonimmigrant visas for international students, including the F-1 and M-1.

At Cifuentes-Marrero, P.A., we help people from all over the world achieve their goals of obtaining an education in the United States. When you choose to work with our student visa lawyers in Miami, you can have peace of mind knowing that your application is being handled correctly.

Contact us online or at (305) 573-7418 now for answers to all your questions about student visas.

F-1 Student Visas

The F-1 student visa is a nonimmigrant visa for international students that are planning to study full-time at an:

  • Institution
  • University
  • Conservatory
  • High school (subject to strict regulations)
  • Organization that teaches language in the U.S.

The F-1 applicant must have sufficient funds to pay all costs in the U.S., which guards against the student becoming a public charge or accepting work in the U.S. without proper authorization. However, students holding an F-1 visa can take employment that is part of a scholastic internship program as long as the holder obtains a work permit. Once the F-1 visa is awarded, the holder can change schools within the U.S. without having to leave the country.

The spouse and children of an F-1 visa holder can obtain an F-2 visa, which permits the spouse and children to enter the U.S. and stay during the F-1 holder’s time of study in the United States. Holders of an F-2 visa cannot obtain work in the U.S. that pays a salary, nor can they study full-time, with the exception that the children holding F-2 visas can study at an elementary, middle school, or high-school. However, the spouse and children can carry out vocational and recreational studies.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

After receiving a degree, the F-1 student can participate in OPT, which allows the student to obtain full-time work. The OPT time period is between 12 and 29 months after graduation, depending on the degree conferred.

Many students that obtain a bachelor’s or master’s degree in the U.S. are hired by an employer who will employ the student and pay and apply for the work visa, such as an H-1B visa.

M-1 Student Visas in Miami

An M-1 student visa is for nonacademic or vocational studies. M-1 students are not permitted to engage in practical training until after the completion of their curriculum. Similar to the F-1 student visas, spouses and children of M-1 visa holders are also given the opportunity to come to the U.S. while the student is studying. This visa is referred to as M-2.

Are you ready to apply for an F-1 or M-1 visa? Contact Cifuentes-Marrero, P.A. at (305) 573-7418 now to speak to our experienced student visa attorneys in Miami.


Why We're the Best Choice for You
  • Offering Cost-Effective Solutions
  • English & Spanish Speakers Available
  • Attorneys Who Care & Provide Thorough Explanations of Your Options
  • Successfully Represented Hundreds of Business Professionals
  • Able to Handle Complex Immigration Cases

Client Reviews

Opinions that Matter Most
  • “Maria's ability to explain legal jargon to us in Spanish has been a key differentiator, making the process clear, and easy to understand.”

    - Edgar V.
  • “I recommend Cifuentes Marrero P.A. 100%. I am now living in USA since 2010 and I became a USA Citizenship thanks to Cifuentes Marrero P.A.”

    - Gaetano P.
  • “They are knowledgeable, patient and most importantly thorough with paper work.”

    - Sanjoy G.

The Cifuentes-Marrero Team

Experienced • Honest • Compassionate